Oldoinyo Lengai Climbing Expedition
Mount Oldoinyo Lengai climbing expedition is one of the major attractions in Tanzania. Oldoinyo Lengai is also known as “Mountain of God”. The Mountain is an active volcano located in the Gregory Rift, south of Lake Natron within the Arusha Region of Tanzania.
Scaling the mountain’s heights is a feat that takes plenty of perseverance and it’s important to undergo acclimatization before climbing the mountain to reduce the risk of altitude sickness. The expeditions can be under taken privately accompanied by the mountain guide and porters or in group subject to availability.
We buy fresh produce and other food locally, and to ensure high standards of hygiene the food is prepared by our own staff. We can cater for special dietary requirements with advance notice at no extra charge.
You only require bottled water on the first and last day. The other days we will boil water or add purifying tablets then filter using MSR water filtering pump before refilling in your water bottles in the morning.
Contact us today for a customized Oldoinyo Lengai climbing expedition itinerary that can meet your group and individual needs. Talk to us and begin the journey to your dream Tanzania adventure.
Oldoinyo Lengai Climbing Expedition Itinerary
Arusha – Lake Natron (Ngare Sero)
Departing Arusha in the morning you drive to Mtu-wa Mbu (Lake Manyara) for lunch. After lunch you drive north along the bottom of the Great Rift Valley wall to Lake Natron and the village of Ngare Sero at the base of Ol Doinyo Lengai. Overnight at a campsite by the lake.
Lake Natron – Ngare Sero – Ol Doinyo Lengai
From Lake Natron to Ngare Sero is a 3-hour walk. Lengai is best approached from the west. Between Ngare Sero and Lengai’s lower slopes is another 3 hours walk. The vehicle will go on ahead here so that it is there to take you up this large gully and so saving you at least 6 hours of walking. Overnight camp in the gully.
Ol Doinyo Lengai summit – Lake Natron campsite
A very early start in order to gain as much height as possible in the cool of the morning. Sun hats and a large water in-take are essential. Descend by the same route. Great care should be taken on the way down: loose volcanic gravel on bare rock makes it perilous going in places. Overnight at the Lake Natron camp site.
Lake Natron – Arusha Town
Departing after breakfast you drive back to Arusha town. Drop-off.
- Transport to and from the base of the mountain.
- Park entrance fees.
- Accommodation in mountain huts.
- Meals as described in the itinerary.
- Services of a mountain guide, porters & a cook.
- Rescue fee.
- H.F Radio communication for backup in case of an emergency.
- All government taxes.
- International airfares.
- Climbing equipments.
- All expenditure of personal nature such as telephone calls, hard drinks, soft drinks and laundry.
- Travel Insurance.
National Park Fact File
Oldoinyo Lengai is in the Lake Natron area in the north of Tanzania, right on the Kenyan border and extremely off the beaten track. The drive to Lake Natron, with the imposing volcano Oldoinyo Lengai in the background is surreal and breathtaking. The landscape has been pock-marked with volcanic activity; mini calderas and the great Rift Valley punctuate the horizon. After settling in to camp at the foot of the slopes of Oldoinyo Lengai and stretching your legs we recommend that you venture up to the nearby waterfalls for a refreshing swim.
The base of Ol Doinyo L’Engai, on the Engaruka Plains, lies at about 800m. The Masai’s Mountain of God is the only active carboniferous volcano in the world and as such provides a genuinely unique opportunity for adventure-lovers and photographers. The steep ascent to the top (currently just under 3000m) requires determination and good fitness levels, but the views alone are more than worth the effort. It is usually possible to stroll over solidified lava flows, and walk amongst the lava cones belching out sulfurous gases. Ideally the hike begins at 12.30am, and the summit is reached as the sun rises over the wind-scoured expanse of the valley below.
You will need a fleece and hat for the summit, as the wind can be chilly at 3000m. Take a torch, and enough batteries to last till sunrise. Enjoy the views and explore the solidified lava flows before descending back to the vehicle and continuing on to your next destination.
The “Mountain of God” for the Masai Tribes – altitude 2886 meters (9524 feet) Ol Doinyo Lengai is a volcano located in Tanzania and is part of the volcanic system of the Great Rift Valley in eastern Africa.
Ol Doinyo Lengai is unique among volcanoes in that it produces natro-carbonititic lava, an unusual type of carbonatite. The most recent eruption took place on the 27th of March 2006.
CLIMBING GEAR & EQUIPMENTS
- Walking trousers synthetic material is recommended.
- Long Underwear Tops – Light synthetic.
- Women’s sports bras Synthetic material.
- Light fleece with a warm layer.
- Long sleeve polypropylene shirt.
- Medium weight polypropylene/thermal leggings.
- Wind – waterproof – breathable jacket.
- Gloves- light weight.
- Warm Hat or Balaclava Sun hat – wool or synthetic.
- Face mask or neck gaiter.
- Medium or large duffel bag to pack your town clothes with a lock, this can be left at the hotel or we can store them for you.
- Medium duffel bag to pack your hiking stuff with a lock. [ The porter will carry this bag. ]
- A day pack to store your essentials with a capacity of about 25 to 35 liters is recommended.
- Walking/hiking shoes – comfortable and waterproof.
- Socks – Fitting socks one thick and one thin pair.
- Head lamp with extra batteries & bulbs.
- Adjustable trekking poles.
- Sleeping bag – Rated 3 – season.
- Gaiters – make sure they will fit over boots.
- Purification tablets or filters – water for drinking is fetched from mountain streams.
- Water bottle preferably one litre.
- Female or male hygiene supplies.
- Hand wipes and camp towel.
- Personal toiletry kit.
- Lip balm.
- Sun glasses.
- Camera & extra battries.
- Passport, flight ticket, travel insurance, visa, cash & credit card.
- Basecamp entertainment i.e books, board games, playing cards or ipod.
- Favorite Snacks, candy bars or protein bars.
Kindly don’t forget your patience, have an open mind, positive and relaxed attitude as things in this part of the world may be very different to what you are accustomed to but in the end the experience is price less and will always be memorable.